Underarm hair, known scientifically as axillary hair, is a natural occurrence that has puzzled many individuals throughout history. People have different opinions and preferences when it comes to underarm hair, with some choosing to embrace it and others opting to remove it.
This article aims to demystify underarm hair, explore the pros and cons of different hair removal methods, particularly shaving and underarm waxing in Singapore (https://www.supersmooth.com.sg/waxing/), and provide insights into the best ways to manage underarm hair.
Why does underarm hair exist?
Underarm hair serves a variety of purposes, both biological and social. One of the primary functions of underarm hair is to act as a barrier, protecting the delicate skin in the armpit area from friction and irritation.
It also plays a role in temperature regulation by trapping sweat and allowing it to evaporate more slowly, thus cooling the body. Lastly, underarm hair can help to disseminate pheromones, which are chemical signals that play a part in human attraction and social communication.
Shaving versus waxing
When it comes to managing underarm hair, two popular methods are on top of the list – shaving and waxing. Shaving involves using a razor to cut the hair off at the skin’s surface, while waxing involves applying a sticky substance to the hair and removing it quickly, pulling the hair out from the root.
Needless to say, each method has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Shaving is a quick and convenient method that can be done at home. It requires minimal preparation and is relatively painless.
On the other hand, waxing provides longer-lasting results as it removes the hair from the root. It promotes slower hair regrowth, too, with results lasting for weeks. However, waxing can be more painful than shaving. It also requires more time and effort and may necessitate a visit to a professional esthetician.
Why underarm waxing in Singapore works
Underarm waxing has gained popularity as a preferred method for managing underarm hair due to its numerous advantages. Firstly, waxing ensures longer-lasting results compared to other methods. By removing the hair from the root, it takes longer for the hair to regrow, allowing individuals to enjoy smooth underarms for an extended period.
Secondly, waxing can result in finer and sparser regrowth over time. With repeated waxing sessions, the hair follicles weaken, and the hair that grows back becomes thinner and less noticeable. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals who prefer a more natural look but still want to manage their underarm hair.
Another advantage of underarm waxing is that it reduces the risk of cuts, nicks, and razor burns that are common with shaving. Since waxing removes the hair from the root, there is no need for sharp razors that can cause accidental injuries. This makes waxing a safer option, especially for those with sensitive skin.
What to expect during underarm waxing
If you’re considering underarm waxing for the first time, knowing what to expect can help alleviate any concerns or anxieties. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you understand the process:
- Preparation: Before your waxing appointment, make sure your underarm area is clean and free of any lotions or deodorants. It is also advisable to exfoliate the area gently to remove dead skin cells and ensure the wax adheres properly.
- Application of wax: The aesthetician will apply warm wax to your underarm area using a spatula or roller, following the direction of hair growth.
- Placing the strip: A cloth or paper strip will be pressed firmly onto the waxed area and left for a few seconds to allow the wax to adhere to it.
- Removal of strip: The aesthetician will pulls the strip in the opposite direction of hair growth while holding the skin firmly. This quick motion removes both the wax and the hair from the root.
- Repeat the process: The process is repeated until all the desired hair is removed. Any leftover wax residue can be easily removed with a soothing oil or lotion.
Choosing the best wax for underarms
Selecting the right waxing product for your underarms is crucial for a successful and comfortable waxing experience.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a wax.
- Type of wax: There are several variations of wax in the market, including soft wax and hard wax. Soft wax uses a strip for removal, while hard wax hardens and can be removed without a strip. Hard wax is often recommended for sensitive areas like the underarms.
- Ingredients: Look for waxes that are made with natural and gentle ingredients. Avoid products that contain harsh chemicals or artificial fragrances, as they can irritate the sensitive underarm skin.
- Temperature requirements: Some waxes require heating before use, while others come ready to use. Consider your comfort level and convenience when deciding which type of wax to choose.
- Brand reputation: Research different brands and read reviews to ensure you select a reputable and trusted waxing product. A well-known brand with positive customer feedback is more likely to provide a high-quality waxing experience.
Everyone’s skin is unique, so what works for one person may not work for another. It may take some trial and error to find the best waxing product that suits your underarm hair and skin type.
Tips for a successful and comfortable waxing experience
To ensure an overall enjoyable underarm waxing experience, it is essential to follow some do’s and don’ts. Here are some helpful tips:
- Allow enough hair growth: Make sure your underarm hair is at least 1/4 inch long before waxing. This ensures that the wax can effectively grip the hair for removal.
- Exfoliate regularly: Regular exfoliation helps prevent ingrown hairs by removing dead skin cells and allowing the hair to grow freely. Gently exfoliate your underarms a few times a week, but avoid doing so immediately before or after waxing.
- Keep the area clean and dry: Before your waxing appointment, ensure your underarm area is clean and dry. Avoid applying deodorants, lotions, or oils, as they can interfere with the wax’s grip.
- Don’t expose your underarms to the sun or tanning beds: Sunburned or tanned skin is more sensitive and prone to irritation during waxing. Avoid sun exposure or tanning for at least 24 hours before and after your waxing session.
- Don’t shave between waxing sessions: Shaving disrupts the hair growth cycle and can make waxing less effective. To achieve the best results, allow the hair to grow out between waxing sessions.
- Don’t touch freshly waxed skin: After waxing, your underarm area may be slightly sensitive. Avoid touching or scratching the area to prevent irritation or infection.
Alternative options to consider
While waxing and shaving are the most common methods for managing underarm hair, there are alternative options worth exploring.
Depilatory creams contain chemicals that dissolve the hair, making it easy to wipe or rinse away. However, these creams often have a strong odor and can cause skin irritation in some individuals.
Electrolysis involves the use of an electric current to destroy hair follicles. It is a time-consuming process but offers permanent hair removal.
Some people opt for natural remedies, such as using a sugar or honey paste, to remove underarm hair. These methods are typically gentler on the skin but may not be as effective as waxing or shaving.
When considering alternative methods, it is important to research and consult with a professional to determine the most suitable option for your needs and preferences.
Remember, there is no right or wrong approach when it comes to managing underarm hair. Each individual has the freedom to make personal choices based on their own needs, cultural background, and comfort level. Embrace your personal choices and prioritize self-confidence and self-care above all.
Whether you choose to embrace your underarm hair or remove it, do what makes you feel comfortable and confident in your own skin!